By Lena Gluck
The East End is the perfect location to get away and enjoy the beauty of Long Island. For those who have not yet traveled to this area, you certainly should. Some of you may be thinking, will it really be worth the drive? Yes, it truly is worth the extra miles; from the moment you arrive, you’ll never want to leave. Let’s take a look at a few of the many amazing places that you can visit on your next trip out east.
1. The Antique Carousel: Located in the lovely area of Greenport, you’ll find the Antique Carousel. Now wait, before you start thinking “Oh great, another thing for kids,” think again. This is no ordinary carousel. The Antique Carousel is located on an enormous piece of land that looks out over the docks. One may ask “I’ve been on carousels before, so why should I go here?” Have you ever been on an old carousel in which you get to grab rings, silver and gold? (Any Holden Caulfield fan will love it!) And if you grab the gold ring you get to ride again? This activity is fun for people of all ages. After experiencing the magic of the carousel, which is sure to leave you smiling, you can surely look out at the beautiful water and then venture over towards the town. The town of Greenport is a lively location, full of excellent restaurants and exciting nightlife.
2. Parish Art Museum: Located in East Hampton, this is no boring museum. It contains luxury artwork all sure to inspire the mind. The museum has many permanent collections, yet they are always adding new pieces. Their collection currently includes Home Sweet Home, Collective Conversation, The Nature of Things, and American Views, and, lucky for us, they are always adding in new pieces of artwork. You might be thinking this is not for you, but just wait, it gets better. On certain nights they have shows outdoors, and during the day they have an outdoor eating area that looks over a lovely vineyard. At night you may view the sunset shining through the long glass building, making the beautiful scenery exquisite.
3. Montauk Lighthouse: The next stop on your itinerary should be the Montauk Light House, the eastern most point on the Island. While driving out to the lighthouse, the views are simply breathtaking. The Montauk Lighthouse opened in 1796 and was first lit in 1797. Not only can you go into the lighthouse, but you can go all the way up to the very top, which is about 111 feet up! You are sure to have a beautiful view from all the way up there! The drive to the lighthouse is breathtaking as you make your way up and down hills with a never-ending view of the water. The drive alone adds to this area's charm.
4. Gosman’s Dock: Hungry for good food? Looking for good shopping? Looking for a priceless view? Gosman’s Dock is the perfect location to accomplish all of the above. Restaurants such as The Topside and Inlet Café are among the many dining options, along with a myriad of stores for your shopping convenience! This location is extremely popular over the summer time and is the perfect location to take children. The atmosphere of these docks is lively and upbeat, and they're always packed with tons of people. The experience makes the lines worth the wait!
5. Martha Clara Vineyard: Do you enjoy being outdoors? Do you like good food, drinks, and music? Well, then this is the place for you. Located on acres upon acres of land, there is fun for the whole family. On this vineyard they have apple picking, sunflower patches, outdoor dining, horses and a wide variety of other eye catching animals. Martha Clara Vineyard is the perfect place to gather with friends and family, and what better area to do that than on the East End of Long Island?
When you go to book your next vacation, make the East End of Long Island the next destination on your list. Whether you just head out for only the day or you go for the week, you are sure to have an amazing visit!